|Author||AVAST Software a.s|
|Compatibility|| Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7,|
Linux, Mac, Palm OS,
Windows Server Edition
Avast! Antivirus is an antivirus program developed by AVAST Software a.s. (former ALWIL Software a.s.), a company based in Prague, Czech Republic.
- Antivirus kernel based on certified antivirus engine.
- Resident protection comprising individual modules or "shields", each of which can be individually configured or disabled:
- File System Shield — Real-time protection against viruses and other malware threats.
- Mail Shield — E-mail/Microsoft Outlook/Exchange scanning.
- Web Shield — HTTP protection (local transparent proxy). Version 4.8 also allows the blocking of URLs.
- P2P shield — P2P protection.
- IM shield — Instant Messaging protection. (Scanning of files transferred through instant messaging applications)
- Script blocker — Professional version only; scans webpages for malicious scripts.
- Network Shield — Basic protection against well-known network worms. Acts as an Intrusion Detection System.
- Behavior Shield - Reports suspicious behavior by analyzing the behavior of programs
- Anti-spyware capabilities
- Anti-rootkit capabilities
- Self-Protection — Prevents malware from terminating avast! processes and damaging avast! files.
- Automatic incremental updates — Updates of both the program and the virus database which is used to identify potential threats — Avast! updates its virus definitions on a regular basis (sometimes multiple updates daily) and this process is automated by default.
- Audible alarms — Vocal warnings and notices such as "Caution, a virus has been detected!" and "Virus database has been updated."
- Boot-time scan (32 bit only) — Users can schedule a boot-time scan to remove infections that load during Windows startup.
- Virus Chest — Quarantine; folder where infected files can be stored. The virus chest also stores vital system files to protect them from damage by malware. Users can also add their own files to the virus chest. Once in the chest, a file cannot be executed; double-clicking the file will instead display information about the file.
Registration (Free Antivirus)
Avast! Antivirus can be downloaded and used for free for 30 days. After 30 days, the free Edition must be registered in order for the program to continue functioning. After registering, Avast! can continue to be used free of charge for 12 months. After 12 months, it is necessary to re-register, in order to continue using it free of charge. However, if you have the recent version of avast! (avast! 4.8) and you upgrade to the latest version, the user is given an automatic 14-month license.