|This page is receiving a major update and overhaul Things might be a bit off. This will be resolved as soon as possible.|
Welcome to Lunarsoft's PC Cleanup page!
The PC Cleanup page has been converted into a wiki for faster, easier updates. Therefore should there ever be any changes to the programs recommended this page can be updated much faster than before. Also, since the PC Cleanup page is now a wiki version, pages should load faster and images can be loaded separately. When a machine needs to be repaired and is infested with malware, pages do not always load quickly. This is always kept in mind when creating these kind of pages so that even dial-up users may load these pages with ease.
We highly recommend using the Anti-Malware Toolkit to help download the Recommended Software and other useful tools to clean and perform maintenance on your computer.
|Disclaimer: Lunarsoft (This includes the members, staff, moderators, administrators and affiliates. Referred to from here on as Lunarsoft) is in no way, shape, or form affiliated with these applications. By viewing this page and/or downloading any files, you agree that Lunarsoft is in no way legally responsible for damage to your computer software or hardware. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the covered code is with you. Should any applications, software or other items prove defective in any respect, you (Not the initial developer or any other contributor) assume the cost of any necessary servicing, repair, or correction. By seeking the assistance of Lunarsoft you hereby waive any possible means of legal action or otherwise.|
This is very highly recommended software for all users. Many of these programs will help prevent and even protect from malware infections.
|Application & Homepage||Application Type||Download Link|
|Mozilla Thunderbird||E-Mail Client||Download|
|Windows Defender||Anti-Virus||Built in to Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.|
|Anti-Malware Toolkit||Toolkit||Anti-Malware Toolkit|
|Lunarsoft does NOT under any circumstances recommend running two or more anti-virus products on your computer.|
Online Virus Scanners
While having a virus scanner on your computer is a plus, you should still scan with one of the scanners below. You may have an infection that your current anti-virus has missed. Below is a list of free online virus scanners to help simplify this process for you.
|Title||Supported Browsers||Supported Windows||Status||Link to Scanner|
|ESET Online Antivirus Scanner||Internet Explorer 7.0+||Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10||Stable||Scan Now|
|BitDefender||Browser Independent||No information available||No information available||Scan Now|
|Trend Micro Housecall||Browser Independent||Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10. 32 and 64 bit||Stable||Scan Now|
This process has been found to be the very best in eliminating and terminating infections. This process will also help to prevent infections from spreading as the infections are removed. You will also want to update each programs definitions/database if updates are available.
- Install SpywareBlaster.
- Install Malwarebytes.
- Install SUPERAntiSpyware.
Order of Operations
By following the directions listed below, you increase your chances for a fast reply on getting your logs and your computer cleaned.
|Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10 users may need to run these programs as Administrator.|
Please follow these directions:
- Run SpywareBlaster.
- Run Windows Disk Cleanup.
- Scan for viruses with the Recommended Software and Online Virus Scanners.
- Run Malwarebytes.
At this point you should reboot your computer to allow Malwarebytes to remove any infections that were found.
- Run SUPERAntiSpyware.
At this point you should reboot your computer to allow SUPERAntiSpyware to remove any infections that were found.
- Run HijackThis to post a log on our forums.
- Run Windows Update.
Unable to run Windows Update?
- You can use Microsoft's Diagnose Windows Update if you're on Windows XP or higher.
- Fix most common errors with DjLizard's Dial-a-fix on Windows XP and Server 2003.
Cleaning & Settings
This section will describe how to update the recommended applications and allow you to configure each program with the best settings for malware removal.
SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from ever being installed. It will also stop malware from communicating with its host server. This helps to stop popups and malware from functioning and further spreading the infections.
- Under "Quick Tasks" click "Download Latest Protection Updates".
- Click the "Check for Updates" button.
- After updating, click "Protection" near the top.
- Under "Quick Tasks" click "Enable All Protection" and you're finished with SpywareBlaster.
Need further assistance? Refer to the SpywareBlaster screenshots.
Windows Disk Cleanup
Windows Disk Cleanup helps to clean out old, unused files. It can also help to clean out and remove malware from your %TEMP% folders and other common temporary directories where malware can reside. You don't need to start Windows Disk Cleanup with UAC to clean all of the necessary areas.
- It is safe to check all available options except for what is mentioned below.
|The following items should not be checked.
- Windows upgrade log files are good to keep in case something went wrong during the upgrade of Windows. You can review the logs for more details about what happened. These kinds of logs are invaluable to technicians in diagnosing errors as well. They are safe to delete after approximately one to two months.
- Windows Error Reporting sends crash reports to Microsoft to help diagnose and get fixes to software that you use and has problems. These error reports are useful to both Microsoft and the developers of the software, to even technicians alike. Anyone who looks at these error reports or dump files can diagnose what the origin of the crash/problem is and help resolve the issue.
- Device driver packages are useful to keep as they will hold your hardware's drivers - software the tells the hardware what to do - in case of any issues, the latest working driver is stored here.
- Previous Windows installation(s) are good to keep for about one month. This is especially true on Windows 10, where you get upgrades to the OS and if you have any problems you can revert back to the previous version. This was also true with the free Windows 10 upgrade. You had 30 days to revert back to your previous Windows 7/8 install. However, if you do not experience any problems you can safely delete this, or wait and let the OS do it for you.
Malwarebytes is a free program that will scan your computer for numerous infections, including Vundo, SmitFraud and other dangerous malware.
- Click on the "Update Now »" text.
If you want to do a quick scan and have Malwarebytes scan the top, commonly used infected areas of your computer run a Threat scan. However, we recommend running a Custom scan the first time you believe you're infected and scanning over your entire drive. This will allow for any infected files found on your system to be quarantined.
- Click "Scan" at the top.
- Click the top option, "Threat Scan".
- Click "Scan Now".
- Click "Scan" at the top.
- Click the middle option, "Custom Scan".
- Make sure all the checkboxes on the left are checked.
- Click to select your hard drive(s).
- Click "Scan Now".
- When the scan has completed, click "Show Results".
- Ensure all entries are checked, then click "Remove Selected".
- If prompted to reboot, click "Yes".
Need further assistance? Refer to the Malwarebytes screenshots.
SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition is a free program that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software.
- First Install:
- Click "Yes" on the message box that appears asking about updating.
- Regular Use:
- Click the "Check for Updates..." button.
- A Setup Wizard will appear to assist you.
- Click "Next"
- Do not enter any email address and then click "Next".
- Make sure there is a check applied to Automatic Update checking and then click "Next"
- Uncheck "Send a diagnostic report to our research center"
- Protect Homepage appears, click "Do NOT Protect".
- Click the "System Tools & Program Settings" button.
- Click the "Preferences" button.
- Under "General and Startup" uncheck the following:
- Uncheck all options.
- Optionally, you can check to "Disable anonymous threat reporting".
- Under "Scanning Control" uncheck the following:
- "Display scan option in Explorer context (right-click) menu"
- Under "Scanning Control" check the following:
- Apply a check to "Terminate memory threats before quarantining"
- You can now click "Back" and then "Home" as all settings have been set accordingly.
- Make sure "Quick Scan" is selected (it is by default).
- Click "Scan your Computer..."
- After the scan completes, a Scan Summary will appear. Click "OK".
- In the Scan Results window, make sure all results are checked and click "Next >". Reboot if prompted.
- Click "Do not show this message next time" if it appears.
Need further assistance? Refer to the SUPERAntiSpyware screenshots.
HijackThis is a free utility which quickly scans your Windows computer to find settings that may have been changed by spyware, malware or other unwanted programs. HijackThis creates a report, or log file, with the results of the scan.
- Uncheck "Show this frame when I start HijackThis" at the bottom.
- Click the "Scan" button.
- Click the "Save log" button.
- Name your log with your user name.
Example: If your username is User123, then you would save your log as User123-Hijack
Need further assistance? Refer to the HijackThis screenshot.
If you have registered with Lunarsoft already, please post your log on the Malware Removal forum.
After your computer has been given a clean bill of health, you should read the PC Security page for adding extra protection to your computer.
Good luck, Tarun - Lunarsoft